Why install a heat pump hot water system?
We all love a nice hot shower. But did you know that hot water heating is the second largest energy user in our homes accounting for 20 per cent of the average Australian household energy bill?
The best hot water system for Victorian homes, according to Sustainability Victoria, is a heat pump hot water system. It’s the cheapest to run – and it’s the best for the environment.
How does a hot water heat pump work?
A hot water heat pump system comprises of a water storage tank and a heat pump. The heat pump extracts heat from the air (even on cold days) and transfers it – using a heat exchanger – to heat water in the storage tank. It works on the sample principles as a refrigerator, only in reverse.
What a heat pump hot water system can do for you:
- Provides you with plenty of hot water – whenever you need it
- Cuts your hot water heating bills by up to 80% – even more when teamed with solar
- Acts as a form of energy storage – making excellent use of your surplus solar electricity
- Reduces your CO2 emissions from hot water heating – by up to 75%
- Works effectively – even in sub-zero temperatures
Benefits of a hot water heat pump system
Cheaper to run: Hot water heat pumps are the lowest cost method for hot water heating for Australian homes. According to Sustainability Victoria, they’re around 80% cheaper to run than ordinary electric hot water systems and around 50% cheaper than gas hot water.
$0 running costs with solar: Heat pumps need electricity to work. That’s where your rooftop solar system comes in handy. Use your surplus solar electricity to power your heat pump, so you get your hot water heated for free, ready for you to use at any time.
Up to 400% more efficient: Because heat pumps concentrate heat, rather than generate it, they are highly efficient. A good heat pump hot water system will generate around three to four times more energy than it consumes.
Greener and cleaner: Because heat pumps use ambient heat from the outside air, they are a type of renewable energy hot water system. But unlike solar hot water, they don’t use up any of your valuable roof space – plus they work even when the sun’s not shining!
Access government rebates: Thanks to their outstanding environmental credentials, heat pump hot water systems attract generous rebates from the Federal and Victorian governments. Together these rebates can be worth $2,000 or more, depending on your eligibility.
Heat pump brands we offer
Designed for Australian conditions, our chosen brand is perfect for providing you with hassle-free, energy-saving hot water for years to come.
STIEBEL ELTRON heat pumps
- From a German company, made in Europe
- All-in-one unit
- Highly efficient – average co-efficient of performance (CPO) of 3.94
- Very quiet – 45 decibels
- Option of 200 litre (for 3+ household) and 302 litre (for 4-5 person household)
- Automatic defrost function
- Operates down to -5°C
- Corrosion-resistant – enamel coating of the heat pump cylinder
- Connects to solar PV – automatically increases tank temperature during peak solar production
- Up to 5 years warranty
Find out how we can help you
Talk to one of our heat pump experts to find out how you could benefit from a heat pump hot water system.