When Tesla’s battery storage product “Powerwall” was first launched in 2015, it helped bring home energy storage into the mainstream. The first Powerwall had a much smaller 6.4kWh capacity and was a high voltage DC-coupled battery. The second generation Powerwall has over double the storage capacity at around the same price, including a built-in battery inverter. It is also AC-coupled which means it can be retrofitted to almost any existing solar panel system.
Today, Powerwall is one of the most popular home battery storage systems in Australia and, indeed, the world.
Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that stores energy from your solar power system or from the grid. With 13.5 kilowatt hours of usable battery storage, Powerwall can power a family home through the night and into the early morning.
Powerwall provides protection in the event of a power outage. You won’t even notice if the power goes out. Your Powerwall will simply take over the supply of power to your home.
As an AC-coupled battery, Powerwall can be fitted to virtually any existing solar power system. It also works perfectly as part of a brand new solar and battery system.
Greater energy independence
- Powerwall will roughly double the amount of solar energy that directly powers your home.
Full blackout protection
- Powerwall provides backup power if there’s a power outage. For longer power outages, Powerwall can recharge from your solar power system (providing you have a solar inverter that supports this functionality). This will allow you to run your home from your solar and Powerwall almost indefinitely.
Puts you in control
- With the Tesla app you can monitor your solar generation, electricity consumption, the amount of power in your battery and how much power you are drawing from the grid.
- If you pay different rates for electricity at different times of day, Powerwall can learn your usage patterns and charge/discharge the battery based on the time and price of electricity from the grid.
- No ongoing maintenance required and automatic system updates are handled via an Internet connection.
- Well-proven lithium-ion battery chemistry: 100% depth of discharge.
- Weatherproof – can be mounted on the wall or floor inside or outside.
- Can handle the heat – up to 50 degrees Celsius (and down to -20 deg Celsius).
- Lithium-ion batteries are up to 99% recyclable.
Modern and compact
- Dimensions L x W x D: 1150 mm x 753 mm x 147 mm.
- Weight 114 kg.
To run Powerwall you need:
- A reliable internet connection (over wired Ethernet or your home Wi-Fi) or a cellular connection to receive software updates and to communicate with the Tesla app for energy monitoring.
- Smart phone (iphone or Android)
- At least 5kW solar power system
See what our clients have said about the Powerwall:
Tesla’s warranty for Powerwall 2 compares favourably with its competitors. Whilst the industry standard warranty on solar batteries is 10 years, Tesla goes further and offers and unlimited cycle warranty. Most other batteries have a cap on the number of battery cycles – and if this is reached before the end of the years then the warranty period is over.
It’s important to note that Tesla will not honour their warranty if the Powerwall has not maintained consistent internet access throughout the warranty period. That’s why we recommend a hard-wired internet connection for your Powerwall, rather than Wi-Fi which can be less reliable.
It’s also worth knowing that if you join the Tesla Energy Virtual Power Plant, you can get a 5-year extension on your Tesla Powerwall 2 making the product warranty 15 years in total.
|Tesla Powerwall 2||Industry standard|
|Product and performance||10 years, unlimited cycles||10 years, limited cycles|
|Battery capacity at end of warranty period||70% at year 10||60% at year 10|
|Labour for repairs/replacements||Yes||No|
|Shipping of parts||Yes||No|
Tesla Australia Contact Details:
Tesla Australia & New Zealand
Tesla Australia & New Zealand
Level 14, 15 Blue St.
North Sydney, NSW 2060