When Tesla’s battery storage product, “Powerwall” was first launched in 2015, it helped bring home energy storage into the mainstream. The first Powerwall had a much smaller 6.4kWh capacity and was a high voltage DC-coupled battery, while the second generation Powerwall has over double the storage capacity at almost the same price, including an in-built battery inverter and is AC-coupled. It is one of the most popular home battery storage systems in Australia and, indeed, the world.
Powerwall batteries are made in a massive manufacturing facility in Nevada, USA, called Gigafactory 1.
Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that stores energy from your solar power system or from the grid. With 13.5 kilowatt hours of usable battery storage, Powerwall can power a family home through the night and into the early morning.
Powerwall provides protection in the event of a power outage. You won’t even notice if the power goes out. Your Powerwall will simply take over the supply of power to your home.
As an AC-coupled battery, Powerwall can be fitted to virtually any existing solar power system. It also works perfectly as part of a brand new solar and battery system.
Greater energy independence
- Powerwall will roughly double the amount of solar energy that directly powers your home.
Full blackout protection
- Powerwall provides backup power if there’s a power outage. For longer power outages, Powerwall can recharge from your solar power system (providing you have a solar inverter that supports this functionality). This will allow you to run your home from your solar and Powerwall almost indefinitely.
Puts you in control
- With the Tesla app you can monitor your solar generation, electricity consumption, the amount of power in your battery and how much power you are drawing from the grid.
- If you pay different rates for electricity at different times of day, Powerwall can learn your usage patterns and charge/discharge the battery based on the time and price of electricity from the grid.
- No ongoing maintenance required and automatic system updates are handled via an Internet connection.
- Well-proven lithium-ion battery chemistry: 100% depth of discharge.
- Weatherproof – can be mounted on the wall or floor inside or outside.
- Can handle the heat – up to 50 degrees Celsius (and down to -20 deg Celsius).
- Lithium-ion batteries are up to 99% recyclable.
Modern and compact
- Dimensions L x W x D: 1150 mm x 753 mm x 147 mm.
- Weight 114 kg.
To run Powerwall you need:
- A reliable internet connection (over wired Ethernet or your home Wi-Fi) or a cellular connection to receive software updates and to communicate with the Tesla app for energy monitoring.
- Smart phone (iphone or Android)
- At least 5kW solar power system
See what our clients have said about the Powerwall:
Powerwall comes with a 10-year product warranty, backed up by an Australia customer service office and network of accredited installers throughout Australia.
Tesla Australia Contact Details:
Tesla Australia & New Zealand
Tesla Australia & New Zealand
Level 14, 15 Blue St.
North Sydney, NSW 2060