What is Powerwall?
Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that stores energy from your solar power system or from the grid. With a generous 13.5 kilowatt hours of usable battery storage, Powerwall can power a family home through the night and into the early morning.
Protection from power outages
Unlike many other batteries, Powerwall provide protection in the event of a power outage. You won’t even notice if the power goes out. Your Powerwall will simply kick-in and take over the supply of power to your home.
Works with almost any existing solar power system
Powerwall can be fitted to virtually any existing solar power system. It can also be part of a brand new solar and battery system. The reason for this flexibility is because Powerwall is an AC battery with a built-in battery inverter.
- For homes without solar – you don’t need to buy an expensive hybrid solar and battery inverter. You can choose any solar inverter you like.
- For homes with existing solar – you don’t need to replace your existing inverter; you can keep using it. You can also add more solar panels at any time.
What Powerwall can do for you
- Self-power your home – store the solar power you don’t use during the daytime; use it when the sun goes down.
- Reduce your reliance on the grid – Powerwall will roughly double the amount of solar energy that directly powers your home.
- Cut your electricity bills – with a good sized solar system and Powerwall, your reliance on grid power will drop significantly and so will your bills.
- Full blackout protection – Powerwall provides backup power if there’s a power outage. For longer power outages, Powerwall can recharge from your solar power system (providing you have a solar inverter that supports this functionality). This will allow you to run your home from your solar and Powerwall almost indefinitely.
- Puts you in control – with the Tesla app you can monitor your solar generation, electricity consumption, the amount of power in your battery and how much power you are drawing from the grid.
- Works smart – if you pay different rates for electricity at different times of day, Powerwall can learn your usage patterns and charge/discharge the battery based on the time and price of electricity from the grid.
Top features of Powerwall
- Powers your home through the night – 13.5kWh of usable battery storage
- Full power outage protection – your appliances will continue uninterrupted
- Real-time visibility into your home energy usage.
- No ongoing maintenance
- Child and pet friendly – no wires, no hot vents
- Quiet operation
- Weatherproof – can be mounted on the wall or floor inside or outside
- Can handle the heat – up to 50 degrees Celsius (and down to -20 deg Celsius)
- Automatic system updates via an Internet connection
- Charges your electric vehicles – provides stored solar energy to your EV through your home electrical panel.
- Compatibility: Single phase or 3-phase connection to the grid
- Well-proven lithium ion battery chemistry: 100% depth of discharge
- Lithium-ion batteries are up to 99% recyclable.
- Stylish appearance
- Dimensions L x W x D: 1150 mm x 753 mm x 147 mm
- Weight 114 kg
What do you need to run Powerwall?
- A reliable internet connection (over wired Ethernet or your home Wi-Fi) or a cellular connection to receive software updates and to communicate with the Tesla app for energy monitoring.
- Smart phone (iphone or Android) – At this time, you can only monitor your system via the Tesla app and this can only be done using a smart phone (not a laptop).
- At least 5kW solar power system to power the battery
Powerwall comes with a 10-year product warranty, backed up by an Australia customer service office and network of accredited installers throughout Australia.